View Single Post
Old 06-08-2017, 11:12 AM
Steel Addict

I used to cut bevels with files before buying the grinder, and got schooled up right quick-like on what files worked and which didn't. As already mentioned, Nicholson USA made files are great....available only as NOS now. The Mexico Nicholson's are meh. The Brazil Nicholson's are a step above meh.

I wanted the most aggressive file I could fine for rapid steel removal, and found the Pferd Chipbreaker. that thing is a beast. 14" of angry shark teeth that chewed metal like nothing. Any file made by Pferd is going to be of very high quality. Never used Grobet, I've heard they are excellent as well.

Then there are Simonds brand files. These are excellent. Maybe not quite the quality of Pferd/Grobet, but WELL worth the money. They have a file called the Multi Kut....very good at rapid material removal, tho not quite as aggressive as the Pferd Chipbreaker.

Iwasaki is a Japanese brand. Pretty pricey, never used them, probably very good.

Then there are the Lowe's brand Kobalt files. Stay away from them. I don't think I've ever seen one (I look at them in the packages about every trip in the store) straight, or that didn't have a compound bend in them. I had bought a few early on, and was highly disappointed not only in the lack of straightness, but the steel and/or heat treat was no bueno. Also, many of them had the tooth pattern totally skewed and/or not the same consistent height.

Never did try the Husky's. My recommendation for excellent files would be Pferd, then Simonds, then NOS Nicholson. Aldo Bruno (New Jersey Steel Baron) has a few Black Diamond files in stock as well. These are 72HRC with the black coating. Probably a very good file.