View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 08:32 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Good questions, sorry I can't answer them. I will say that there are two kinds of restoration. One is to restore with the idea of making the knife attractive and functional using whatever materials and methods you can for that project. The other is to restore with the intent of making the knife exactly as it was the day it left the factory. That last one requires a special skill set and access to a supply of materials that probably were collected over a life time - not many guys in that category. But, I have seen ads in the Classified section of Blade magazine for such services so you might check there. Don't forget to check the KNET classifieds too as some of our members might advertise such a service.

To answer a small part of your question, no, I don't think that handle material can be replicated with perfect accuracy. I base this on discussions I've seen and re-issue knives where people have said such materials were close, very close maybe, but not exactly the same. You'll probably have to replace both sides in order to conceal the fact that one side was replaced ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!