Thread: Ripped Off?
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2019, 11:56 AM
Steel Addict

I cater to big game hunters with my knives. My primary steel is S30V stainless steel, but I also make knives using Damascus steel and O-1 carbon steel. I have found that todays younger hunters do not know how to care for carbon steel knives like the old timers do that used only carbon steel knives in their younger hunting days.
As a result I include instruction sheets with all my knives on how to care for that particular steel. even with that I had two customers that used a dish washer to clean their carbon steel knives and sent me a rust bucket to clean up for them. On my carbon steel knives, I also send them in a Kydex sheath instead of a leather sheath I use for the stainless steel knives. The reason for that is that a majority of the hunters will store their knives in the sheath when hunting season is over and leather will absorb moisture from the air and rust the blade even if the sheath has been treated with Neatfoots oil.
If the maker stated he would refund your money, then he lived up to his end of the bargain. If those spots on the blade are rust spots, then that is on you for not taking proper care of the knife. I always use 4 layers of masking tape on the blade when forming the kydex sheath to help protect the blade from being scratched when withdrawing the knife from the sheath. I also apply two coats of Renaisaance wax to my carbon steel and Damascus steel knives before shipping them.