Thread: Question
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2016, 04:32 AM

Don't worry about asking questions - most of us figure that's what these forums are all about. Kind of an online guild of sorts. Sure wish it had been around while I chased the learning curve.

Never operated a Cowboy so can't say, but anything that will do 3/4" leather ought to work - as long as it will handle the larger threads and has plenty of clearance to turn and position work.
Only powered machine I've any experience with was an Artisian that Dad (Sandy) had. That was a limited exposure. Dad was one of those exceptional Master Leather Craftsmen. I was fortunate to be mentored by him for several years. He introduced me to Paul, Carla Van Horne and several other great leather craftsmen over the years. He could be tough on you (no sugar coating), but I like being told the truth.

l hand-stitched for way too many years then got hooked up with Dad. Shortly afterl I got an old school Tippman Boss. It's hand powered and can get tempermental but I've learned to deal with it. All I know for sure is my pinkies love the heck out of it and it freed me up to think about doing more advanced and creative sheaths. Lot of makers dislike the "Tipper" and others wouldn't have anything else. I can only say I am happy with mine and don't see making any change or upgrade.

Hope everything works out for you.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H