Thread: Hey from Japan
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
Nice work! You've got the 'bug'. For handle material you might also look at stabilized wood offered at most any knife supply store. Such woods are real wood suffused with a plastic resin. They look good, polish easily, and require no other finishing. They are much more resistant to warping and cracking than untreated wood as well as being chemically resistant, great for kitchen knives and sporting knives.

We're here if you need us .....
Thanks Ray!

I’m looking into stabilizing some of my own wood. I found some stabilized stuff here, but it expensive! Shipping a chunk of wood would cost a lot more than the wood. Maybe I could find some at WoodCraft next time I’m in Hawaii.

The whole stabilized wood thing is foreign to me! in luthiery, we go to great lengths to find lightweight, strong, inherently stable woods to make an instrument that will be used hard, but coddled otherwise ... all the while possessing a “tonal ring.” In this discipline, knife scales are supposed to withstand all kinds of abuse and adverse conditions, and weight and tonal qualities are the least of considerations. LOL.

My personal stash of fretboard materials are pretty inherently strong woods like ebony, bloodwood, wenge, rosewood ... but none are particularly kitchen usable without some kind of sealing. I doubt these would be candidates for stabilizing, though ... ?

Cheers!

Last edited by charisjapan; 09-30-2018 at 09:38 PM.