View Single Post
Old 08-06-2020, 09:39 AM

Hey Gents,

Thanks for your replies and welcomes So what I am getting is that SS needs to be heat treated for that typical very shiny stainless steel effect? Is that correct?

I didn't want to go the route of a kit as I did want to make the blade myself. I like to make the gift part myself for whatever material is set for the anniversary year. Last year I made her a wood ring from scratch.

In terms of my shop, its pretty well equipped. I don't have knife making specific gear but I have bandsaw, hacksaws, vices, drill press, angle grinder, sander etc. What I am lacking is the ability to heat treat any metal apart from using a torch on it. That was the reason I was hoping to go stainless steel as I thought since I was making a cheese knife with it, it would have minimal wear on the blade.

I have to admit, a lot of my research has been into using old saw blades to make knives. I was planning to go that route for my first few knives to get the hang of design and shaping and then up my game and get into heat treatment.

You mention forging the knife. To me that sounds like working the metal as a blacksmith would. Is that correct? I also may have made a wrong assumption that I could buy stock from a company like https://www.knifemaker.ca/ that is say 1/16" thick and then shape with the tools listed above and put an edge on it.

I feel like I might need more research into using new stock of metal rather then what most of my research has been with regards to using pretreated saw blades.