View Single Post
Old 03-23-2016, 09:33 PM
Skilled

Thanks for the reply Scott, especially the info on when the teeth are cut. (edit: I've edited this post. Both the Model 2 and the Model 14 Solingen were constructed from 1/4-in stock. The Model 2 has a different blade grind profile.)

If I understand Scott, there is no metallurgical reason saw teeth cannot be cut into a Model 2, even an older finished one. If the shop cuts the saw teeth just before final polishing when the blade is fully hardened and treated, then teeth can be cut now without undo risk of chipping or fracturing, I do suspect grinding the teeth on a finished knife would probably foul the polish on the blade but that could be addressed by a good machine shop.

From Scott's post, the impediment to RMK putting teeth into the Model 2 (pun intended) is simply that the shop doesn't offer the option on Model 2s and will not regrind a model's top edge line in a custom way to allow cutting saw teeth. The days of custom knife making for a particular client are over.

However, I've been looking very closely and comparing the edge profile, taper, grind-type etc., of this Model 2 blade with the Solingen 14 saw-teeth top edge... which is very blade-like. These profiles seems fairly close initially ... however, the 14 blade broadens at the base of the teeth because of a different grind profile. It looks like teeth could be cut without changing the Model 2 blade grind, though the Model 2 has a hollow instead of saber grind (?). Because of the grind, the teeth on the Model 2 would be thinner and less robust throughout their profile ... but then again the Model 2 blade is less robust too, so....

So absent metallurgic reasons at first glance it looks as if a good machine shop could add teeth to the Model 2. If I want to risk this knife, I might see what a skilled machine shop says, ... or maybe I'll buy a throwaway model 2 and try it with that first. This idea may be too cool to pass up "aftermarket" so-to-speak.

I wonder if the shop would go ahead and cut teeth on a new model 2 without changing the grind if requested by a customer, despite not officially offering the option? If so, the first time they did it would most likely to be the first saw teeth Model 2 in history.

Or if the shop made 500 special model 2s with a slightly different grind... maybe a double bevel instead of a flat saber (?) or hollow (?) grind ... giving a thicker blade closer to the edge as a base for saw teeth. Maybe add a fuller ("blood groove") in middle to keep weight distribution and balance the same as current. Add unique wooden handle, hilt, a special, it would probably sell out. ...... I'll accept a small royalty for the idea.

Last edited by Jacknola; 03-28-2016 at 10:44 PM.