View Single Post
Old 03-07-2016, 07:26 PM
Skilled

Steve, thanks for posting those hilts. I'm pretty sure the change in hilt shape from rectangular to oval progressed late 1972 to 1973, roughly in sync with the beginning of the lined thong hole. However, I've seen one 14 with unlined thong hole and oval guard... from a seller who I strongly suspect of altering knives.

There seems to be a small progression in hilt shape from rectangular, to rugby football shape, to American football shape. I also think that the change paralleled the switch away from the crutch tip for model 17, which may have required a thicker tube that could be threaded... and perhaps a thicker guard. I just have not spent the time on this issue.

There is another interesting issue that needs attention. The sheath makers began putting the Randall stamp on the front of the model C sheaths at some point early 60s. Same with split backs... stamped on back until began stamping on front. This is contrary to industrial practice. I think I know a reason for the change to the front... the rough back of the sheath did not allow a consistent strike of the stamp. But preliminary study of this issue has resulted in making the world of the C sheath look chaotic... some sheaths seem to be stamped on the back, and in the same time period others are stamped on front. That also seemed to be the case years earlier with some Heiser-stamped sheaths.

Maybe I'll get motivated again and explore this mystery. Thanks for adding data... and knives.

Last edited by Jacknola; 04-22-2016 at 09:19 AM.