Thread: through tang
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2016, 10:04 AM
Guru

through tang

hey guys so I glued up a new hidden tang knife still not the best fit up in the front of the guard I deffinitly need practice at that but this knife is for me not anyone else so it doesn't bother me too much as long as I get it better next time. I have only done 2 or 3 of these. once I am done with this I have a knife I have to work on for a friend and then I have a few that will be for sale I need to do sheaths for. but once I get those sheaths done ill have 7 or8 ready to go out the door so then ill have a lil time to go practice some more. Or maybe I will work on the next hidden tang lil by lil as I do the sheaths that might be good cause it will force me to slow down. anyway I have been wanting to attempt a through tang the kind where you weld or braze a threaded rod so it goes all the way through for a but cap or pommel. so I was watching a video today and something didn't make sense in the past all the videos and pics I have seen of this you have the blade itself then a short tang where the threaded rod get welded to I have even seen it where the tang is wide and a notch cut in the end that the threaded rod slips in the notch and gets welded (that seems to be the strongest type of joint to have. well the video I just saw this guy didn't have a tang at all really he welded the rod basicly right to the back of the shoulders of the blade. now he said "i do it this way because I have more surface area to weld and the joint is stronger at the shoulders" I don't think there is any more sureface area created by welding it there and I would think the joint would break easier up there than if it was place down a tang a lil bit....am I right in this assumption for you guys that have ddone a through tang like this how did you do it? did you find one way better than the other?