Thread: 1095 cracked
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R. Cashen
Most who use a magnet and a forge have been the beneficiary of a convenient drawback that in this case is a plus, and that is how the magnet got its exagerated reputation as a good indicator. 1414F is not enough for many steels but when working in a forge it is virtually impossible not to overshoot the mark by 50F - 75F, which will put you right in the sweet spot. To help calibrate things even tighter I agree with Alan about watching for decalescence, the magnet tends to stay with 1414F while each individual alloy will tell you what it is doing with those shadows and colors.

For very simple equipment I would recommend 1084 or 1080 over 1095, as there is no extra carbon to have to worry about arranging or going where you don't want it, they will also go into solution the quickest, and thus eliminating some of the need for soaking longer. 1080 and 1084 also have a bit more Mn lending them a hair more hardenability than 1095 and making them easier to heat treat with less than optimal quenchants.
Kevin, Thank you kindly, too.
I will definitely try some 1084 or 1080 on the next go around. It sounds like that'd be right up my alley.
Much obliged for the great information and the fact that all of you guys share it freely.
God bless,
Iz