View Single Post
Old 09-05-2003, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Sealing: same old double edged sword, though -- a sealed sheath is a perfect container for moisture.
Agreed but only up to a point... (you knew that was coming ) With a GOOD snug fit moisture instrusion from rain, etc. is limited. Unsealed - the flesh side of leather will pick up even ambient (high humididty) moisture and since the ouside is water "proofed" that moisture gets trapped in the leather (it's the nature of the beast - the flesh side of leather is a perfect moisture wick). On the other hand with a well sealed sheath I have left unoiled carbon blades in them for long periods of time in high humididty conditions - the Pacific Northwest Coast - and had no rust appear as long as the blade and sheath were dry to begin with. (this method of storage is NOT suggested - I did it only as a test and my tests on both knife sheaths and holsters was extensive and over a long period of time - both in the house and in my unheated shop). Another good thing about a sealed sheath is can be more easily cleaned of crud - blood, grit, etc. - and yes those things are a consideration. Boy could I tell the horror stories of guys abusing good leather and then complaining!

Is sealing the BEST WAY - my tests convinced me it is, but as I always say each to his own.

Bootomline- Once a sheath gets wet, sealed or unsealed than it must be properly dried to prevent rust/damage. As you note Mike proper care is the only way to prevent that damage.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.