View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 05:14 PM

That's nice clean work! Far better than my 4th and 5th knives for sure!
That guard is the most interesting thing I've seen on a knife in a while. Sometimes mistakes can be 'happy accidents' that may be the case here. It's certainly a technique which may be worth some development.
Anything 'different' is good!

Constructive criticism..., let's see...
I wont call it criticism, because it's not, but if you're looking for 'tips', I will offer what I can. Feel free to ignore me if you like.

Your handle shapes are very well developed for a rookie--far beyond most at such an early stage. Many are blocky and bulky. Yours are well conceived from a side profile and offer a nice upsweep at the heel of the palm (been listening to Jason Knight?). They have no offensive edges to bite the hand--good! From a top or bottom profile, don't be shy about thinning them just a hair and perhaps giving it a 'coke bottle' shape. This technique enhances the overall comfort and aesthetic.

Your damascus is good linear random pattern. I'd love to see a sexy twist or ladder pattern (my favorites). A twist can really enhance the lines of the profile and put some real 'action' in the blade.

When you get down to your edge width before etching and sharpening, go down to 1/16" or a tiny bit less. That way, when you put your secondary bevel (edge) on it (about 44*), it will be a nice thin sliver of silver that doesn't get wide enough to draw the eye away from billet pattern or handle details. On more 'industrial' or 'primitive' styles, the wide edge bevel is appropriate but on finer work such as these, I think a thinner line is best (opinion only).

These are just tips mind you. I was happy to get them when I was developing and I still am. Thank God for Youtube. I get some cool tricks there too.

Great work! Keep posting and welcome to the forums!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."