Thread: new forge
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 10:58 AM
Guru

Thanks guys...yeh I am going to build it...ya know some one pointed out to me that I complain about not having enough time to do what I want to do and adding another project will just take more time...however sleeping on it yeh I just cant justify paying for one especially when all I need ins the shell I already have wool and satinite from the last build.

My last forge is long and has 2 burner ports (I only use 1 most of the time one is enough to get to welding temp) but the diameter is very small. Its also made out of vent pipe. So i had mad this one for HT ing a short sword before i had my oven. So for that it worked great but between the small diameter and the fact that when its that long and made from thin vent pipe once you put the wool and satinite on the top sags a little making it even smaller in diameter. When i used it to do the first Damascus billet with the press the billet was so big it was har not to knock into the walls and in a few spots i tore it up enough that it needs repair. NO more Damascus till i get a new forge....I have a air compressor that the motor blew that would be perfect but i already promised it to my bro in law as he has the same one and he wants it for parts and the tank is one of the things he wants....cant tell him no the guy does a lot for us...anytime i need help with something he is the one i call. I tried to pick up a air tank at home depot with no luck so tomorrow i will have to take a ride to harbor freight..

So this one is deffinitly going to be a horizontal with 2 blown burners...i may not use both burners all the time....However i did see pictures of Ed's vertictal forge build and it looks nice beside the huge amount of castable and only can imagine how long it takes to heat up. Like i said for now its going to be horizontal but maybe down the road i might see how a vertical one works. I have never even seen a vertical one in person Have any of you any thoughts on it?