View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Hall of Famer

The olny thing that I see wrong with something like a big bowie, or any large knife for that matter, is that it didn't take an infantryman long to get tired of having the thing slap the side of his leg with every other step. Then they also tended to pare down what they carried and those large knives were a little on the heavy side as well as not being nearly as good a weapon as a bayonette on the end of a rifle/musket. I would clearify if he wants one of those pseudo fighting knives or if he wants a knife that was used around the camp. If the latter, I'd make him a simple straight backed utility type knife with a 4-5 inch blade, full tang and a simple unadorned slab handle. Remember that these people (reinactors) can be real picky about their, and other's, kits right down to the correctness of tobacco pouches, eye glasses, and buttons. I remember watching the extra features on the DVD of the movie "Gettysburg" and they mentioned that the reinactors were real quick to point it out if things were not true to the period.

Doug Lester

Last edited by Doug Lester; 09-04-2009 at 04:29 PM.