View Single Post
Old 02-01-2017, 12:17 PM
Skilled

I carried a Randall 14 in Vietnam with the 5th SF group... lost it.... which led me to buy a replacement 40 years later, which led to my current modest collection and greater interest. You might want to read the discussion below on this board about "Old model 14s" ... lots of good info and examples in one place.

To "document," just write a short letter "To whom it may concern" something akin to a will. Mention a short description of the knife (include good pictures) how you got it, from whom, where you carried it (add picture from Iraq to show you were there). Then if you can get the history from its previous owner, just relate that history as best you know, who, where they say they carried it. Here is fictitious example...

"I Lt. Justin Timberlake (yuk yuk) )142817 carried this knife in Iraq during tours of duty in 2004 and again in 2007 with the 101st Airborne, and in Afghanistan with the 82nd Airborne 3/508 in 2005. (see three pictures attached). I acquired this knife in 2001 given me by MSG John Doe who was retiring from the 3rd Special Forces Group after 25 years service. He told me he wanted the knife to continue to be used in the front. He told me he had carried this knife in Desert Storm in 1991, and in Pakistan in 1985 training the Islamic forces, and in the invasion of Granada in 1981 and throughout his military career, maneuvers, etc.

SGM Doe related to me that he was given this knife in 1977 when he was a Sp-4, by SGM Jim Smith, 5th Special Forces, who was retiring after 20 years service. MSG Doe said SGM Smith told him he carried the knife in Vietnam during three tours between 1965 and 1970 at A-331 Loc Ninh, A-239 Duc Lap, and A-503, Nha Trang Mike Force, among other assignments. SGM Smith's career can be documented if necessary. I certify the above is accurate information about this knife to the best of my knowledge."

Add a couple of pictures and stash the letter with your valuable papers. Voila... As an example, here is part of a letter I that came with with a Solingen M14 I acquired, and which is an exact example of my lost Vietnam knife...even carried by Airborne troop. Is this letter proof of use etc? Nope... but it fits the knife age and the story is creditable and there was no reason to lie. It is good enough for government work, and for me. - Ciao ("1/75" means 1st Battalion, 75th Rangers...)

Last edited by Jacknola; 02-10-2017 at 09:48 AM.