View Single Post
Old 10-20-2002, 05:33 PM
Living Legend

Thumbs up coatings

Thanks Dan,

I had a look at the cortec-vci site and there appear to at least a couple of interesting products - VpCI-396 (urethane) and VCI-365 (epoxy) which seem to have good performance characteristics according to their brochure. They do come in 4-5 gallon drums though.

I have taken the plunge and ordered the GunKote preparation from KG Industries. It wasn't too expensive and I figured it would be an investment. The issue was that the cost was low, the application was by hand and baking temperatures don't affect the temper on most knife steels.

The biggest issue was that this product could actually be shipped out of the USA. (I live in Australia.) Most companies I contacted couldn't do it because of hazardous chemical laws. Non-knife manufacturing firms have their stuff coated all the time. Its a matter of finding suppliers, and searching high and low for sources. I actually enjoy this aspect of knifemaking so this is turning out to be my latest "project."

I'll let you know how it turns out and I might also keep looking for other sources as well.

Thanks again Dan. Cheers.

(Matthew 10.16)