View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 07:55 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Have you considered a set of hardness files?
http://www.flexbar.com/shop/pc/HARDN...-SET-p5383.htm
I saw those when I did a Yahoo search on hardness testers. The set was a little less than $100. There were no instructions on use, bit I figure that you try different files until you find one that actually "bites" into the metal and that gives a general indication of hardness.

You make a valid point, which was something I was wondering about, how important is it really to know the exact RC hardness? If the blade passes various inexpensive tests (which we discussed in my D2 heat treating post in the Newbies area) is it really necessary to spend hundreds to thousands of $$$$ for a big bulky tester?

Your other point, oxide colors. Before trying the D2 steel, I did a few blades from old wood rasps and W2 steel. The only color I saw after the canola oil quench was black scale. It wasn't until I decided to try D2 and got a lot of great information from guys here on that process that I've actually seen color on the blade after the plate quench. And now, after heat treating 4 D2 blades, I've not seen the same "color" on them.
The first one came out black with a light coating similar to powder coating. This I meticulously sanded off to get a bright shiny blade. I think I didn't get the foil sealed well enough.
The 2nd one came out with really nice red, blue, yellow and green swirls on it, but mostly red color.
The 3rd one had the same colors, but not to the same extent, there was one area about 1x1.5 inches with almost no color.
The 4th one again came out with the black "powder coat", but it was the one that also warped. After sanding the coating off, I did the steps to remove the warp (twice) and it is a real nice solid gun metal blue color.
Is there a write-up somewhere on how to interpret these colors?

I'm thinking I would be better off spending the $$$$ to get better controls for my kiln. Problem is, they want more for the digital controls than I paid for the kiln! (I bought it used at an estate sale.)