View Single Post
Old 11-16-2016, 02:33 PM
Guru

Ed when I said I don't go overboard on finish I didn't mean fit

I mean I take the knife to 400 grit and then polish on leather with 500 grit diamond compound which takes about 10 minutes to shine the blade up, but not to a mirror polish, more a shiny satin finish. I do put my name on my knives, but not always where it will be seen like the back of the guard or spine and if I make a kit knife I do not put my name on it at all, anywhere. My fit is always good, I pride myself on it, it's what you get being an aerospace sheetmetal mechanic and ultra precision welder. I have had to finish parts by hand to plus 0.0 and minus 0.002. I fit up my knives just as well. I'm getting much better at sheaths too, but I'm not spending 4-6 hours on a sheath for a $60 kit knife. It will be plain with a border and have a lot of solid brass rivets. I never used brass plated steel rivets or snaps.

As for Ebay I know next to nothing about selling on there as I've had other makers and a mod tell me they do sell on there. Just making suggestions. I don't sell online at all as my Facebook page gets me most of my business and word of mouth though I was thinking of setting up on Etsy. Yes I do tell my customer if it's a kit knife. I've even offered to give some to some customers to make themselves, but they prefer I put them together. I hand forged that Viking axe btw. When I was done with the knife and axe I figured I made about $7 an hour.
I live on a fixed income and $80 makes a difference to me. The kitchen knives were beautifully finished and taught me to never use acrylics and full tangs as it was extremely hard to get the fit between the tang and plastic even. I used 1/8" loveless screws on those knives and my own mosaic pins. The full tangs and plastic cost me a lot of time, (used to hard woods) but was what the customer wanted, but next time it will be hidden tangs for acryluster or any plastics like kirinite.