View Single Post
Old 05-07-2017, 01:10 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

All I can say for sure is that a quick look for that blade on the internet showed me a number of variations on it. One had a fuller, a couple had hollow ground portions but they all had that distinctive front and back portion you mentioned. I sure there is an 'expert' somewhere that can come up with reasons for the various characteristics of those blades but, again, that doesn't really matter (to me, anyway). If that's what you want to make then that's what you want to make, it's that simple.

Maybe that can be done with a jig and a belt sander. To get that noticeable grind demarcation in the middle of the blade would probably be a similar process to the one we use for the plunge cut that usually appears at the back of a blade. When you want that really sharp and defined we clamp a file guide across the blade, just two pieces of steel with a screw through each end, the blade goes between the screws. Simple. The forward part of the blade could even be tapered if you want, in some of the pictures that appeared to have been done. A thousand years ago, and doubtless much more recently than that, files or stones would have been used to shape the blade. Today we can use a belt sander but we don't have to, files still work fine. If you are having trouble conceptualizing how to produce the blade shape you want then doing it by hand with files is probably better. Things can get screwed up much faster with a belt sander....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!