View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 12:55 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend View Post
Excellent info. Thanks again.
Ed, just to make sure I understand, you use 3 parts FeCh, to one part Distilled Water right? Just want to make sure I don't have it backwards...

Also to the rest of the gang, how long should I leave the blades in the solution?

Finally, what do you do with the solution once you're don etching?
Not Ed, but 3 parts water, 1 part FC is a pretty standard mix. If the FC is too concentrated it tends to etch both steels at the same rate and doesn't reveal the pattern as well.

Second question, this is where you'll ask 10 different knifemakers and get 10 different answers, we all have our favorite methods. My personal method is to etch 5 minutes, rinse and dry the blade, remove the oxides with polishing compound, clean the polishing compound off the blade, then etch another 5 minutes, repeating until I have the depth of etch I want. The blade needs to be absolutely clean when it goes in the etch! No fingerprints... When I'm happy with the etch, I'll rinse the blade, spray it down with ammonia to neutralize the FC, rinse again, then dry. If I want to keep the oxides, I'll boil the blade for 5 minutes, dry, and oil. Boiling the blade will change the nature of the oxides from one form (that wipes off easily) to another (more resistant to abrasion).

I've been using the same batch of ferric chloride for 3 years now, I honestly don't know how long it will last. If it is kept clean, it will last at least 3 years... It is very easy to contaminate though, with oils, organics, copper, etc... (copper will turn it into a copper plating solution!) this is why I suggested the tube with a top etchant container, having a top that fits snugly will help keep it from becoming contaminated. To dispose of it, pour it into a plastic container, seal, and sell on ebay...but seriously, baking soda (NOT baking powder) will produce a chemical reaction with ferric chloride that will render the solution relatively harmless to the environment. It will also produce heat, and lots of foam, and can make a mess if you're not expecting it. Best advice, take it to your local Hazardous Waste Disposal Company in a clearly marked plastic container.

A good friend told me one time about forging "What is there not to like, you get to break all the rules you were told as a kid, don't play with that it is sharp, don't play with fire, and don't beat on that"
Wade Holloway

See some of my work.