View Single Post
Old 04-21-2015, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Personally, I don't recommend diluting Ferric with vinegar..... Although some do it, I've found that it (diluting with vinegar) can yield some undesirable results..... such as odd colors, and light and dark patches.

My recommendation is to dilute the Ferric 3 to 1 with DISTILLED water.

As for the holes in the container, sealing them up with silicone will work fine. The Ferric won't affect the silicone.

The most important aspect when etching is the finish on the item (at least 600 grit, and I often prefer 1200 grit finish), and CLEAN. That means ANYTHING that isn't completely clean will not etch. Personally I put on latex gloves, clean the item with acetone (hint: DO NOT use white household paper towels....the process used to make them leaves residual chemicals in the paper towel that will leave a film on the steel that prevents etching) I recommend using the Scott's blue "shop towels", they do not contain the same chemicals as the white paper towels. After cleaning with acetone, I clean again with Windex, and completly dry it, then into the etchant. The etching process works best if the item is supended in the etchant.

After etching, I neutralize in a saturated solution of TSP, or you can use a heavy baking soda solution.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."