View Single Post
Old 04-01-2016, 10:11 PM
Skilled

Looks like my brother was right. He was very confident that he ordered his saw-teeth Model 14 from the catalog in Dec 1965 or Jan 1966. However, conventional wisdom has it that ST were not cataloged for 14s until the 18th printing in 1967-8 or so. I checked the part of the 17th catalog I have saved and it doesn't seem to list ST as an option for the model 14 - though of course it does for the 18. BUT...

Gaddis, p 221: "In the 'Extra Features' section of the seventeenth printing of the catalog were a couple of new additions that customers in the military welcomed. These were Model 18-style sawteeth now available on Models 1, 14, 15, and 16, plus the inclusion of stainless steel blades, both Randall Made and Solingen, for the popular Model 18... In many respects these new options were just catching up with current requests from the men in Vietnam, but it was helpful to formally add them to the list."

I do not have this "Extra Features" section of the 17th and don't know where to find a full digital copy, ... but if Gaddis wrote it he must have had the documentation. I guess the conventionally repeated wisdom about the 1967 first availability of ST in the catalog could be erroneous. Funny how even "common knowledge" about little things can be questionable.

Last edited by Jacknola; 04-02-2016 at 05:24 PM.