Thread: Ht issue
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2017, 01:51 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitt214 View Post
Ok I think I did it, the grain looked just right and the file skates right off. Should the spine wind up as hard as the edge? I broke the blade to see what the grain was like and the edge snapped but some of the spine just bent is this ok?
Eh, it's not bad but it's not great either. Personally I like to see full hardness unless I'm intentionally trying for a soft spine, i.e clay coating the blade or similar.

Could be one of three things, the temperature of the steel is right at the edge of where it needs to be, you're taking too long to go from heat to quench and the steel is cooling, or your quenchant is just a hair too slow. The third one is the least likely of the three, warmed canola oil should be fast enough from most hypo-eutecoid steels (simple carbon, less than .8 carbon content). I'd bring the steel up just a touch higher in temperature, but just a touch, to give you a little more leeway in getting it to the quench, and make sure you can get into the quench as fast as safely possible