View Single Post
Old 01-24-2005, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

All points well taken, George.

I have no problem with the seller greeting other folks. But I saw sellers who greeted nobody, and others who did nothing but chat on the phone. If they were giving away diamonds they wouldn't have had a customer. I think a lot of knifemakers - or any artisans - are introverts; They speak to the world through their work. Selling requires direct interface to the customer.

I don't know of many sellers who pay the money and commit the time for a show only so they can display their wares. If you want to show a profit, you gotta sell!

There are people at these events selling things that have no earthly value whatsoever! But they are pitching their products! And they go home with cash in their pockets. Here you have guys making a quality product (and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that), but can't be bothered to pitch it! They go home unhappy. (An old boss of mine used to say, "This would be a great business if it wasn't for those d***ed customers.")

When you are making a knife, you have to pay attention to what you are doing. When you are working with power tools, you have to pay attention to safety. When you are selling, you have to pay attention to your customers.