View Single Post
Old 01-24-2005, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Over the years I have come to the conclusion that knife shows are not always about selling knives......... sometimes it's about selling yourself! If your not standing up, with your hand extended, and a smile or kind word on your lips, then your not doing a very good job of selling yourself.
Gun shows are their own unique environment. Genernally the customer base that attends "gun" shows are looking only for "bargins", while those attending true knife shows are there for the quality.
Gun type shows are where many knifemakers get started trying to sell their product. Most of them have no idea what they should be doing, or how they should be acting. They look around at everyone else, and figure they should be just like the rest.

It can be a tough "learn as you go" situation, and many don't make it to the second show. I think back to the first few times I attended gun shows...... I was green as a gourd. I was scared to talk to anyone, and was just hoping that someone would say something nice about my work. Thankfully I sought out more established makers, and learned from them, adding my own ideas along the way.

Some of the most important things I feel a maker MUST do at a show....

1. Stand up!
2. Smile
3. Speak to anyone who walks by your table
4. When someone stops to look, introduce yourself, and offer a hardy handshake
5. NEVER! NEVER! Dismiss or ignore anyone! Many years ago I watched a then, very famos maker ignore someone, who turned out to be a major collector and writer for a major knife publication. That knifemaker is no longer in business. (no I'm not going to say exactly who it was)
6. Dress the part! Look as professional as possible. I personally don't like to wear a tie, but you can bet when I show up at Reno later this week, I'll have a tie and jacket on!
7. And finally, be yourself! More people come to a show to meet "The Maker" than to buy. The impression you leave on people will tranfer into your knives. (good or bad)

When I walk through the gun shows, I always stop to look at the work of the "young" makers. After talking for a while, many will ask how they should be presenting themselves and their knives.......those are the ones who have the desire necessary to continue in knifemkaing. Those who sit there like a bump on a log, I simply leave alone.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."