View Single Post
Old 06-19-2006, 07:06 PM
Guru

One of our state inspectors joked with me one time that she might have to issue me a ####### for my collection if I add anymore Fiestaware to my office bookshelf! My favorite is a 1.5" superman marble made from vaseline glass. It "glows" green/blue under a black light. Several of the natural minerals look reddish-brown in natural light. But them in the dark under a true black light and you see blues, greens and even some purples!

When it's in a ceramic glaze or painted over metal and such it's pretty stable. The only problem with the ceramic tiles and such is in demolition of old houses. Workers were going in and busting up all the old tile during rennovation and breathing in the dust. Very low levels, but should still be avoided if possible. Uranium is so chemically reactive that just leaving the polished metal out in air will result in a wild variety of shades of colors due to oxidation just like you were heat bluing steel.

Antique bright orange glazed ceramics and some blacks are often uranium salt glazes. Ivories are often a thorium based glaze. Yellowish-green glass and translucent white are sometime vaseline glass.