View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 05:06 PM
Guru

Tru-Oil is better.

I have used Birchwood Casey Gunstock Wax and the Tru-Oil. They both work well for natural wood better than Boiled Linseed Oil which I use on leather.

I sometimes mix BLO with melted wax to waterproof my sheaths for non-stainless blades. FYI Also leave a small hole in the bottom of such a sheath on the back, so in case water gets in there it can run out.

I usually seal most of my exotic woods with MinWax Rub-on PolyUrethane and then wax for shine. I also sometimes seal with epoxy thinned out with lacquer thinner, several coats and it takes a couple three four days. Then sand with 1200 grit, buff with slow buff (500 rpm) and then the gunstock wax.

For none of the above, for lets say ironwood or similar I use Tru-Oil after 1200 grit sandpaper and same buff with 5000 grit diamond paste and light wipe with Thinner to remove any diamond paste.

What kind of wood do you have in mind Kevin? You see that determines what I use.

Last edited by jimmontg; 11-17-2017 at 05:09 PM. Reason: punctuation