View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 09:15 AM
Skilled

Joe, if the evidence of the group discussing the possibility of whether the 1937 knife was fully assembled because of the visible tang, then at the time of the discussion they must not of been aware of the photo that came to light of the partially built knives with hilts soldered on, leading me to believe the 1937 knife was finished. I also don't see the logic in making a sheath for a knife that he didn't plan to finish.

The evidence of the 3 early knives with sheaths seems to illustrate that he completed the first batch of knives.

He very well could have upon receiving his Scagel knife, been inspired to make the refinements that we see in the 1938 knives.

Also, knowing that he was able to heat the stag on the bottle opener to remove it, he easily could have done it again on the 1937 knife. I think it would have been next to impossible to not fasten the hilt and spacers and shape it to what it was. Again if one of the above pictured unfinished knives with soldered hilts was this knife, then the hilt was soldered on.

Either way, even if the stag is one in the same on both knives, IMO the current refined version can't be looked on as Bos First completed knife. That would be one of the other two, would it not?

I suppose if the consensus is true that Bo refinished that early blade, disassembled it and installed a new hilt and spacers and fitted that original stag on it, it could be considered a later knife built with 2 components from his first knife. But to claim it to be his first knife is misleading. The first for any craftsman, again, IMO is the one that started it all, the one completed, for better or worse.

Great discussion Joe, and it is awesome that we have the knife illustrated in that 1938 photo is amazing.

Do you happen to know the back story of how Rhett came in possession of this knife?

Thanks again,
Sam