View Single Post
Old 11-27-2016, 06:30 PM
Guru

Having worked in precision metal fields I can hit a predrilled hole in a hidden tang no problem really. I sometimes make kit knives that have a hole already in them. I have some calipers that measures in the .001 range and just measure where the hole is relative to the back of the ricasso where the guard will fit and mark my handle from there with a precision 6" square. If I'm off a few thousandths I just file the hole with a dremel diamond point until the pin barely fits and will shove the handle up against the guard. If I'm not putting a threaded pommel on I always do that whether it is a kit knife or not and will drill an additional hole for another pin just as a backup. Most of my knives I make I've decided to make them hidden tangs. I fit the guards and handles before HT as I won't be grinding the tang at all.

I am making a bunch of filet knives from CPM S30V and they will all be hidden tangs with a double pinned on piece of brass all-thread for the pommels. I cut a slot in the 1/4-20 all-thread and put two 1/8 pins through them. I fit it all up before HT. So when I get them back they just go together easily and no drilling that hard as heck metal. I hate sharpening carbide drill bits by hand, takes me two hours and these new super steels wear them out.