View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 11:08 AM
RIP 11-09-2011

Unhappy TKCA Show

I don't want to get too long winded, but Don, you asked a good question.
The cost is moderate as shows go, but the reward is minimal with about 250 guest for that weekend. I can get more than that coming to my back yard on a weekend.
The competitions are a joke if the judges don't know what they are looking at.
When a 4 billet medeorite composite mosaic damascus blade laying next to a feather pattern, and the feather pattern wins...
I have supported this show every year buying 3-4 tables since Chris started it and this year I won't attend.
The club only supports the Guadalupe school.
Sunday was cut, thus my reason to come-(I am the preacher).
Every year I hear about little or no advertising and the crowd gets smaller.
The demo's are awesome but not well publisized.

I came the last few years trying to help out the TKCA get control, but by now...me being there won't help.

The TKCA was developed to promote custom knifemaking and custom knifemakers and with ALL the talent TEXAS has to offer.....I just don't see it.

What can we do to make it better?
Texas "should" have the best show in the country, we have the talent here.
We can't get the big name makers here because there is no traffic.
The collectors want more, as do the makers.

A TKCA auction to help absorb the cost of promoting the show so all who want to attend, can.
A knifemaker's spotlight (during the show) to announce what's new or different (every couple of hours) from several makers. This not only promotes what's new, but the knifemakers themselves.
Get blade magazine coverage- they are always looking for something worthy to print.
Invite local boy scout troops, they are our future customers.
Invite chefs, martial artist schools, law enforcement agents with the free passes, rich collectors are NOT concerned about 5 dollars to get in.
I volunteered to make a video commercial to run on local TV, but no interest to run it.
Local news agencies will help promote the "weekend" events for free. (video spot)

Until we can bring some buyers in, the big name makers will drop from our rosters more and more. It is not a matter of cost, it is a matter of worth for the money. This is the ONLY show I go into the hole every year on. I could stay home and sell more on the internet.

I am not a complainer, you asked. I have talked with Leon, Johnny, etc...nothing changes.
This year I am doing something about it myself, nothing.

I am sorry to say that I will miss the Texas show more than it will miss me.