View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 02:59 PM

And a beautiful old hunter it is, Brasshilt. I believe there is a high probability that the 4-7 sheath paired with it is the original sheath. 3-7 & 4-7 sheaths were virtually interchangeable: If the shop was out of 3-7 sheath and they had a 3-7 to ship, it would go out in a 4-7 sheath (and vice-versa). That is an early 50's knife and that was a lean time for the shop. Bo did not keep a very large inventory of sheaths on hand and it wasn't uncommon to run out of a particular model sheath. 3's were more popular than 4's, so 3 sheaths moved faster than 4's. If it was me, I'd rather have the "original" sheath than a "proper one". Also, compare the "curve" in your sheath to other 3-7 and 4-7 sheaths of that era: Your's has very little curve. Much less than a 4-7 sheath. In fact from your photo I can't tell any real contour difference between your sheath and a 3-7 sheath. Just because there is a number 4 on the back of the sheath, that doesn't always mean it's a Model 4 sheath pattern. There were a few dummies that worked for Heiser just like they do for just about any company past or present. "Duh, where did I put that 3 stamp? Oh well, 4 is close enough"!

Best,

Ron

Last edited by BoBlade; 10-25-2006 at 03:09 PM.