View Single Post
Old 02-18-2016, 10:50 PM
Guru

I worked on my Dad's fishing/charter boat. I got my Master's ####### then.(1975) I needed a knife that wouldn't dull all the time. I literally used 8 knives to filet fish on charters. My regular day job (I'm an aerospace sheetmetal mech. and ultra precision TIG welder) an older fellow told me to take some old worn out Nicholson files and stick them in the oven for 2 hours. I ground down the now dark beige colored blades and taped ice cream sticks and duct tape for handles. Those knives were about Rc60 I'm guessing and they cut through the fish bones all day. I sharpened with a medium India stone and was happy as a camper.

I just made a filet knife out of D2 with ironwood handles for my son. I sent it to TKS for HT and they said it is Rc 61. I cleaned 4 redfish and two mutton snapper without sharpening once. My son's m-o-l used the knife to carve the thanksgiving turkey (no sharp knives in the house, for shame) and then proceeded to put it in the dishwasher. The pins were sticking out and it lost it's shine. Took me 3 hours to fix it back right.

I love D2 and O1. They are tool steels and hold an edge very well. For me, first and foremost a knife must hold an edge. I never make combat knives. Yet I just made a "bear killing" knife for my son out of O1. I tempered it back around Rc 56. He has a .38 plus P special 2" revolver and I told him to let the bear chew on his arm while he shoots it in the ear. I can't believe he's smart enough to be a Dr. The knife has a better chance of killing the bear.

Last edited by jimmontg; 12-10-2016 at 10:04 AM.