Thread: O-1 question
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2016, 09:34 PM
Guru

When you tempered it, you should not have run water over it. Your temper oven temperature was fine, but I wouldn't hold 0.110 thick for twelve minutes @ 1480. About 6 minutes after warm up is good for that thickness. My guess is you didn't need such a high temp for the second quench. We always did what it said, one hour per inch of thickness, thus 6 minute soak and we tempered at 450 for almost two hours for 1/4 thick, but no second temper. If it bent and stayed bent then the second temper is why, BUT O1 is very tough and you say only the thinnest part bent? Ray is probably spot on. lower your temper by 25 degrees if you are doing a double temper. A single temper would be about 1 hour at 450 until a nice cardboard tan color. I always waited till it was room temperature too before putting in oven and ground a shiny spot on the tang to see the color.

Now to say something, it sounds like you got a good heat treat for your first time. Took considerable pressure to bend the subtle edge and it didn't crack? Good Job!