View Single Post
Old 10-27-2015, 11:04 AM
Guru

Ray thanks..when you say weld it to the weight you mean either MIG or stick weld right? not forge welding deffinitly cant even think about that forge aint big enough....i am going to check out your site right now about the layers in the damascus.

JMC- I think i might of confused you a lil....the rail does not have any holes in it at all. what i was talking about that has holes in it was these 2 wheel weights that i have. they are basicly a round disc a foot in diameter and about 1 1/2 inch think. i brought these up because ray had sugested at one time that they might make a nice base for the rail. as he said in his previous post about welding them to the rail. Also the piece of rail i have i have not weighed it but it is a foot long and is WAY over 30 pounds it probilly around 70 like you said you have. Ill weigh it at some point today and figure that out. But its not a small one my brother in law is a mechanic for the RR by me. He works more on the cars but not on the rails. He went and asked his buddy in the rail dept. for some and he said they had 4 different sizes basicly small, medium, large, and a xtra large. the xtra large one is only used in the rail yards not out on the tracks and they didnt have alot so he grabed the next biggest wich he said is the biggest rail that is used on the tracks (outside the yard)