View Single Post
Old 10-26-2015, 04:43 PM
Guru

alright yeh your right anyway i was trying to predict a need that really may not even arise. i did use it (unmounted on cement floor) and i can definitely see a positive for having the anvil vertically as far as (i guess because of more mass underneath maybe?) i think if you really had to hit something real hard and flatten it out i think having it that way would help. But today when i was using it i had it horizontal the whole time and i didnt even think about turning it on its end once. And i like the idea of having one part flat (or as close as it comes with a angle grinder with grinding dics and sanding flap wheels) and the other part slightly rounded as it came. Also horizontal i got room to add a hardy hole and if i want to round one end off to a horn or weld a horn onto it. Generally just more room for stuff all around. I think that will be my project tomorow to nail it down horizontally. Ray remember you had said those wheel weights would be a good base? Do you think i should just nail the rail down to a tree trunk with or without one or both of those wheel weights in between the rail and the tree trunk....or i thought maybe putting one between the rail and tree to just add a lil more mass to the rail (its heavy but i dont think as heavy as a legit "anvil" and the other on the opisat (bottom) of the tree thinking the weight might help hold it in one spot and stabilize it a lil more (less top heavy). Either way i should still dig a hole and put it in the ground?.

one more off topic question...so as i have said i had made a layer billet of 1080 and 15n20. I forge welded it no problem and drew it cut it in 3 forge welded again and today finished drawing out again. And i cant belive being my first time doing this i had absolutly no problem with any of the welds sticking and staying i havent had to "fix" a weld once. So 24 layers right now so i was thinking of cutting it in 3 again so that will make 72 layers i think. Is there any rule of thumb on the layer count? Does more layers mean that after you do whatever (twist, grind, ect..) the lines in the pattern would be thiner right? i am just trying to figure how many layers before going to the next step. I have read many different things from just a few layers to hundreds and thousands. but no where did i read what general effect having more or less layers would do.