View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 02:43 PM
Guru

I doubt they are made of tubing, seams are too crooked.

I've seen knives like these forged from flat stock out of 3/32 1080. They get folded around a tapered rod and the blade is forged into one piece about .130 to .140 thick finished grind. Note how crooked the seams on the round parts are. I would have had to tig weld every seam, I told my brother to weld high carbon steel is a pain in the ass, best to braze with silicone bronze. My brother tried to forge a survival knife this way, but he couldn't get the pommels even and he'd grind them flat and tried to tap threads for a cap, he decided that to make it look good was more trouble than he could sell them for. Circa 2003

Ps. decarb was an issue too, they were hard, but I bet they lost a lot of carbon forging two thin pieces into one thick one. O1 would've been a better choice in steels. I wouldn't be surprised if O1 doesn't come in a tube. I remember in a machine shop I worked in they had some 4140/4150 in tubing. Knives could be that, but Rc 57 max hard 4140, 4150 will get harder Rc 60 before temper.