View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Skilled

Les,

First Les, let me thank you and the rest of the great Armed Services members around for your service. Now that is a dedicated knife maker that makes and carries his own knife in a combat zone! I don't know where this country keeps getting you guys, but I'm d**n glad we got you!

Now to your question about mistakes, which I suspect you have posted just to help others. Looking at your web site I figure you've already got this stuff figured out, but here goes.

1. Never spend money for bigger, better, faster that wasn't made from actually selling knives made on the equipment you have know. (Hobbies are money pits, business is business. If the business can't sustain itself, how can it sustain you.)

2. See Moon's post above. (At least until you make enough money on your worst months to pay the bills.)

3. Never, ever, ever take a deposit to build a knife. (Unless it's from kin folk and you want to make sure you get paid something!) ;~) I guess this applies to Armory's post above. There ARE legit reasons for failing to deliver a knife you took money for, but there is NO legit reason for not refunding the money to it's rightful owner by the due date. Being overly ambitions, enthusiastic, optimistic...what ever...with other peoples money is a character flaw and NOT a business strategy. It's called robbing Peter to pay Paul. Not good! If someone wants to slam a maker for over booking, fit/finish or whatever then so be it. People like that can always find a reason to hate something. Don't give them an excuse.

4. Never, ever, ever make a knife you would not want to keep...cause you may have to sell it to someone else. The reason someone ask you to build a knife is because they like your style. If you are cordial and patient enough you can guide the buyer toward a knife you and they would be proud to make and own.

5. Never, ever, ever ship a knife until you get paid and the check clears! (You said business mistakes...Not hobby mistakes.) Try taking that new TV out of the store without paying for it and see what happens. There are some, but very few exceptions to this rule.

6. Never, ever, ever be optimistic about delivery dates. If you think it will take 4 weeks to deliver a knife. Double it. Tell the buyer 6-8 weeks just to make sure. If it takes 8 weeks for some unforeseen reason, they can't make you out to be a lair. If you get it to them in 4 weeks they will think you pushed their work up front and go all warm and fuzzy inside.

Those are just a few of the things I could think of off the top of my head. I'll bet there are a bunch more.

I also bet there are a bunch of makers out there that are just chomping at the bit to tear me apart over the list as well. So what are you waiting for. Let's hear it.

chiger,