View Single Post
Old 04-04-2018, 06:53 AM
Guru

when i started i forged a couple knives then went to stock removal.... so anyway when i first did a couple knives by forging when i was brand new to this....i spent a bunch of time making the tang perfectly flat the whole way through after i did one side and got to the other i realized i wasted a bunch of time on the first side the tang just has to be flat around the edges and any HIGH spots so the handle material will sit flat when pinned and glued on those low spots and hammer marks in the middle of the tang don't need to be ground as it is not going to effect how the handle material sits and no one will ever see it (unless the rip off the handle material) and also if you keep grinding the tang down to get out those low spots you just making the tang thinner and weaker,,,,,,not sure if this is what you ment by low spots....this seems obvious to me now but it was a brain fart moment when i realized this ....MIND BLOWN LOL Oh also as ray said yes you will get quicker that 2 hours eventually will turn into about 3 minutes once you learn how to hold it where to put pressure what belts to use and most importanmtly confidence as you get more confidence in your grinding you will start to go much much quicker