View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 10:58 AM
Guru

KEV.... glad you found hollow grinding easy. It may be one of those things that everyone is comfortable with different things. I find flat grinding much much easier....I have a hard time with hollow grinding. In the beginning I tried and tried and just couldn't get it. So I just stoped trying. Now recently I started again trying to do it good and finally making progress with it but still needs work.

As far as the belts. It depends on the belt I grind after HT also and my low grit ceramic belts get used once for bevels. IF there is still some grit left I hang them on a hook and use them to profile. BUt never do another knife's bevel with them. The higher in grits depend on the type for example a 600 grit klingsspor usually 1 use BUT I have been using the 3m gator belts more and more and when I do use them I use all of them I wont use a 120 gator then a 220 Norton ect... But if I do a 60 grit ceramic then switch to a 80 grit gator followed by 120, 180, 240, 400, 600 all gators (I don't always go to 600 but you guys get the idea) When I do it like that it only takes a couple quick passes on each grit. And they last a very long time I could probilly get 10 folder blades out of them. Slightly less for bigger knife. I think the key is using them all togather so you only have to make 2-3 passes on each side....I find they work good with slight to medium pressure for some reason the harder you push they worse the finish comes out