View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 12:42 PM

Jack,

During the two decades that Randall pinned handles (1937-1957), wood was just not a popular handle material like it is today. As I mentioned earlier, wood handles in the pinned era are rare as hens teeth. That 4-7 of Rocky's is '47 or '48. I can't remember seeing another 40's Randall with a wood handle, although I'm sure others are out there.

Bo pinned (non leather) handles from the get-go because the natural resin he used would not adequately secure the tang to the handle alone. He therefore had to further stabilize the assembly with two large diameter brass pins:

Note: Bo's inspiration for knifemaking came from a knife he saw made by William Scagel. "Old Bill" used pins to secure his handles, so it was natural for Bo to follow suit:

However, he found out early on that the differences in thermal coefficients of expansion between the metal pins and the organic handle materials (elk, whitetail or stag horn) would sometimes result in a cracked handle, especially those with smaller diameters (As the temperature increased, the metal would expand faster than the organic). In those cases he used smaller diameter pins:

During WWII, most of the knives Bo produced had leather handles. The few with horn also had two large diameter pins:

When Bo brought out his new line of postwar knives in the summer of 1945, the first of these with stag handles had two small diameter pins:

Two pins post war were short lived. Within just a month or so, Bo went to just one small diameter pin as a compromise between handle integrity and cracking:

Although ivory was not offered as a handle option until 1948, he used this material as early as late 1946 and soon learned that it was no different in terms of TCE stresses and cracked handles.

Cracked organic handles (Stag, ivory & wood) as a result of pinning continued to plague Bo until he converted to an epoxy resin in ~ 1957. This new adhesive was strong enough to secure the handle without the additional support of a pin.

Hope this info helps a bit.

Best,

Ron

Last edited by BoBlade; 03-20-2012 at 12:19 PM.