View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 09:45 PM
Guru

Well TJ you can also try some toothpaste.

No kidding, most whitening toothpastes have a very fine abrasive in them and can be used in a pinch. Another one is Turtle Wax which will strop a knife very well too. I find that stropping for everyday use isn't necessary or even desirable if you sharpen the knife correctly. A knife that is too sharp, yes there is such a thing, won't slice as well, dice yes, but the micro saw teeth are removed by buffing the edge. Shaves good though, but if you filet a fish and go to skin it, it just cuts through the skin leaving it on the filet. Butchers don't fine hone their working knives.

I sharpen by stroking my blade into the stone or diamond in my case. I seldom ever use a back and forth motion unless I need to remove a lot of steel. By stroking the blade into the stone and not away from it I find I don't leave a burr. I finish on a hard Arkansas stone for a few strokes and that's it, a nice working, or butcher's edge. A super honed blade is good for woodcarving and leather work, but doesn't hold up well unless a very hard blade. My leather knives get stropped with diamond compound. They really shine, on the edge anyway. lol