View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 10:00 PM
Guru

I do not bother with the belt cleaners for metal belts much. I use Tap Magic cutting fluid on a rag. Very lightly soaked like you would dampen a rag to wipe your mouth after eating chicken wings, even lighter. Very light. It will remove metal from the belt and leave a very fine coat that gives the belt a little longer time after you use a clean cloth to wipe it off while running. This is only for the high grit type gators, trizacts or microns.

As a matter of fact I have found that using the very thin coat of cutting fluid on a new 600 or higher micron belt before ever grinding with it makes it last longer. Here is the catch, trying to use 400 grit or higher over a large area is not easy to do. You will most definitely have to finish by hand. If using a belt sander I will always go from 320 to 400. My 1x42 isn't as high speed as a Grizzly and it works better, my new 2x48 is as fast as a grizzly and I doubt I'll use it past 220 until I put a variable speed controller on it. I could go on and tell you about silicone carbide belts and damp water rags to keep it clean, but you get the idea, not enough water to fly off, just dampen. I used it for lapidary spacers of fossil wood or agate. Water is dangerous around electric motors so light is the operative word, not to mention oil makes a mess. Lightly!