View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 06:22 PM

One time, for a while, in Lawndale, Bob had an acquaintance who lived in Elko, Nevada who was encouraging him to move the business up there. He even went up there to check it out. In a little while, we drove up there to have a look. We took the long deserted highway from Tonopah to Elko and I do mean deserted! It wasn't the famous "Loneliest road in the U.S.," Highway 50, but it must have been at least Highway "49 1/2!" We drove to Las Vegas, then on to the north after staying the night in Tonopah, to Battle Mountain and finally Elko. It took the whole day and, though the scenery was interesting, but a bit boring at times, we only saw one car - and one airplane that seemed to be following along the highway. (He was looking for signs of life, too, perhaps!)

We spent a couple of days in Elko looking around, even visited the manufacturer of a camp saw that was made for hunters, that had a blade that was about a foot long, with a "T" handle of cast aluminum, that Bob thought was pretty neat. The owner was an older fellow and Bob was considering buying the rights to make the saw, thought it'd be a great addition to the Loveless line. We both got pretty excited about living in that area.

After we left for home and got back to Lawndale we proceeded to work on how we were going to move. I loved the idea, it was basically like we'd be moving back to territory that was a lot like where I'd grown up, high semi-arid desert and the Ruby Mountains weren't far away. We'd be able to ride motorcycles, shoot, hunt, fish, whatever! See the stars in the night sky! Well, about a month later, more or less, Bob said one morning, immediately as I stepped through the door of the shop, "Steve, come here, I need to talk to you. I walked to the back end of the shop by the little heater in the right-hand corner and he said, "Son, I just can't see how we can move to Elko, I know you want to go, but it just isn't going to work." (Or something along those lines, I don't recall the exact words, but I do vividly recall his sincerity and concern that this was going to be a difficult dream to give up, maybe more on my part than his.) I was quite sad about this turn of events, but suspecting from what I'd heard from this comment and that, of late, what the situation was going to be like in Elko, and how things were in L. A., I understood. I appreciated the fact that he found it hard to do what he did and for the concern he had for me and what I'd been planning on for quite a while. I think, within the year, we started looking at Riverside, for a new location. Smoggy old Riverside! Why would anyone want to move to Riverside!!?? But then, Riverside was the "country" compared to L.A.!

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift

Last edited by Steve; 10-23-2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: changes, typos