View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 06:40 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by samg View Post
Bill, I think Bo made the decision to do the stainless hilt in 1960, so if yours is a prototype, it's 1960, not just pre 63!

Sam
Correct Sam.

The reason I stated "Pre-1963" is derived from the written word that the "Astro" was available to the general public via the latest Randall catalog in 1963. This is obviously earlier.

My conclusion is this example must have been made between March 15, 1960 and May 25, 1960, when at that point, Bo made the executive decision to use stainless steel for all future hilts.

The brass hilt on my knife is also exactly 2 5/8" long, the new "extended length" for protection while wearing the space gloves. (Same time period as noted above)

Also, besides the 20 NASA training knives that were requested to be made from Solingen blades in June, 1960, Bo was using Swedish steel for the Astronauts knives, and polishing off the Solingen stamp on the ricasso, so his own logo could be incorporated. (Of course, later on in the 1963 catalog, Model 17 Astro's were available in both Swedish and Solingen steel versions)

I have unearthed many rare and previously unknown Randall knives in the past, but this one in my mind seems to be the most significant.

TB