View Single Post
Old 11-06-2014, 11:27 AM

I considered that approach Crex, but decided that their are still too many variables, to assume one piece of steel will harden exactly like the other. My forge has hotter and cooler zones and two blades cannot occupy the same space.

Because of the way I edge harden, I see no other option than file testing.

Note: Since the failure, I destruction tested another two blades to check grain structure. On those, it was creamy and pale gray and I couldn't even detect a graininess. Hence, I am forced to conclude that the failed blade that prompted this discussion did indeed get too hot. It had just been so many years since I had a failure that I did not recognize the large grain when I saw it. I'm glad it failed.

I have also put together a much larger peanut oil quench tank with carefully controlled temperature (130*). End result: This event and this discussion has inspired improved HT in my shop. I thank all who participated for that. It is easy to get complacent with certain procedures over the years. Sometimes we just need a kick in the butt to get refocused.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."