View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 04:00 PM
Steel Addict

This is the best thread I have seen in quite some time. Jack has done a great job with it.

Mitchell, you and I have spoken about your knife numerous times, and I don't think it was made anywhere close to a few or even a couple of months later. I think it was made at the same time as the original Zach, within weeks. I don't think but a handful with the upside finger grips were made because they were fine for Bo's proffered fighting technique but somewhat uncomfortable for general utilitarian purposes, which is what most knives spend their life doing. Even the Zach pictured in Gaddis is sans finger grips, and guess it it was that tail end of stag fighters of the type.

I met Singlaub at Bragg upon the 30th anniversary of the first HALO insert in Viet Nam. I went up with my cousin Doug Miller. Jack will recognize that name, but may know him as Franklin D. Miller. There were a bunch of guys from SOG there. I have photos, business cards, and stuff of the get together and a video made by a production company that was going to do a story on it.

I also acquired some team patches and other artifacts. The 5th team house was a treasure trove of stuff. My head was spinning with the value of the items on the collector market hanging on the wall and sitting around

I also met and spent some time with 2nd Chief SOG Blackburn 65-66 at his condo in Sarasota. He was up in years at the time and Doug and I went down to see him. He got along ok, but time was taking it's toll, but still had some recollection of some interesting stories. He had sitting in his living room the mounted elephant tusk that he is pictured holding in Plaster's SOG book. Pretty neat piece. Would have like to have had that in my living room. I don't believe he held on too much longer after our visit.

Last edited by crutchtip; 07-16-2017 at 04:29 PM.