Thread: Carbon Knives
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 08:32 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_schaap View Post
Thanks. Thats the basic kind of thing I'm looking for. I have never had a carbon knife so I have no clue how to take care of it you know. So you DO NOT keep it in the sheath? At face value you know I would think .... then where are you going to store it...?
I think what he is trying to say is storing it long term. Most follks will advise against long term storage in a leather sheath.

However and I' ll catch flack for this! If the inner leather has been sealed and you make sure the knife is not wet when you sheath it and I usually like to lightly oil the blade slightly before long term storage.

Now that doesn't mean you can store it in a wet enviroment in the sheath. However given the proper percautions before storage I have found rust not a real problem.

You may end up with a slight patina or aging to the blade of a carbon knife but if dried and oiled before storage I don't worry too much about rust.

Another word of caution, the sheath needs to be made of vegtable tanned leather. Never use chromium tanned as it will react against the blade!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft