View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 06:06 PM
Guru

I looked at the metal composition of those steels you want to make Damascus out of and to be honest I do not think it is possible. You would have to forge them at very high temperatures and would need a heat treating oven to do the final equalize and heat treat I would imagine. I'm like Ray I make damascus out of 1084 and 15N20.

I have tried to forge high chromium steel before namely A2 and it didn't turn out as well as I would have liked. Just can't properly HT in a forge and the surface was a mess too, the attempt was ill advised, but I did it anyway and I wasn't trying to make damascus either.

Maybe try the Cru-ForgeV steel as it was made to be forged, mixed with the 15N20 I would imagine it would make a good edge holding knife with that extra Vanadium in it. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has tried to make Damascus with the Cru-ForgeV steel.

You also may want to get some high nickel content steel into the mix for a good contrast. It is why we use the 15N20 as it has 2% nickel. I have no idea what the mix you are wanting to use would look like, but like Ray I would be interested to hear how it goes if you try.