View Single Post
Old 05-20-2014, 09:53 PM
Skilled

Here are two other Delrin handled knives, probably '65-'66 by blade stamps ... both have the type 1 stamps.

The first knife is strange, don't have any idea what model this is or might have been. It is probably a re-worked, cut down model 10 with special handle/guard/hardware something or other... I presume it is a real RMK. It does have what seems to be a nice nickel-silver coolie cap (with rounded tang nut) and flanged collar and separate S. I think the knife has a separate S ... because the blade has the type 1 "Randall made" stamp next to the "S". The "integral S" stamp incorporated a type 3 "Randall made" stamp. (In my opinion it's nice to have that blade stamp differential to split up the dating of the Viet era. I use it all the time).

The next is a model 1, owned by Mitchell Harrison, photos borrowed from his web page. It has the type 1 blade stamp (pre 1966) and is paired with an early Johnson baby-dot sheath without model numbers. This package if original could be as early as 1963, but the knife is conservatively dated at 1964-5. (Note: when using another's work, it is proper to credit them instead of leaving the impression it is your work - isn't that right Mitchell?).

Based on the above information, I think Delrin was apparently used in 1965, maybe earlier... but let's say 1965 to be conservative. And for general information, Delrin was used on an incredible number of folding knives including Swiss army, etc., and is still used as a common handle material on those knives today.

Last edited by Jacknola; 07-24-2017 at 12:23 PM.