View Single Post
Old 07-14-2017, 10:44 AM
Skilled

Gen. Hall Moore's Randall knife

I contacted General Hal Moore's son, Lt.Col. Steve Moore, and explained my Vietnam service and the Randall collection community. He then forwarded some amazing pictures of General Hal Moore's Randall, and the story of his knife. (Edit: upon further review, this does not appear to be the same knife in the picture above.) Never-the-less, in my opinion, this documented story makes it possibly one of the more unique Randall's in existence. The knife pictures he forwarded appear to be mid/late WWII (? - need help here - Ron?) with double pinned stag handle. Here are the pictures.

LTC Steve Moore wrote: "The knife actually belonged to my grandfather, COL Compton - Dad?s father in law, as you can see from the name inscribed on the blade."

So, it turns out that then-Captain Moore may have been given this knife by his father-in-law during General Moore's service during the Korean war. His father-in-law was Col. L. J. Compton who served in WWI and WWII. I'll quote General Moore's son, Steve Moore:

"In WWII, [Col. Compton] was with the Artillery Section of the 15th Army and was actually the commander of the Army during its deployment from the US (11/3/44 ? 1/2/45). He did receive a Bronze Star for his actions when his troop ship was torpedoed in the English Channel. After the war, he was on the military tribunals in Germany ? we have a picture of him and other members in LOOK (or maybe LIFE) magazine. No reason to believe he did not carry the knife in Germany."

I told Steve Moore about the small Randall collecting community including those with a passion for historical RMKs. I also warned him that there were some "collectors" who were "fast operators" and some who would take advantage of a widow, or "age" a knife, or created a false history to make a buck. I also told him that his knife, wf it were documented to service in three wars, owned and carried in Vietnam by an authentic American hero, Gen. Moore, could bring $10,000 if auctioned... So he should be aware of that in case any "collectors" graciously offered to take it off his hands or have him donate it for a small sum.

Here are a couple of pictures of Hal Moore. The first is Capt. Moore in Korea. The second is Lt. Col. Moore's battalion command team immediately before deploying to LZ X-ray in Vietnam in 1965... Neither shows his Randall, but they are historically interesting in this line.

Korea

Battalion Command, Vietnam

Korea

Last edited by Jacknola; 07-15-2017 at 01:23 AM.